© 2005 - 2018 by STCGSERVIES.COM

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Graber MD Wiretap Case
Interesting story about Anthony Graber...  Seems this guy was riding a crotch rocket, poping wheelies on I95, speeding, generally doing all those things us older guys find a bit annoying, very ilegal and down right dangerous to all of us.  An off duty cop sees him and decides to pull him over at an exit.  Off duty is a bit heated and it comes across pretty plainly - and I dont think too many people could blame him for being heated.  The off duty cop pulls up in front of the rider, jumps out of his car, gun drawn and effects a traffic stop.  Pretty normal stuff right?  Well, turns out Mr Graber had a helmet mounted camera running the whole time, filming the speeding, wheelies and the off duty stopping him.  You can view the film he made here:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/RK5bMSyJCsg

Mr Graber decides to post his video to YouTube and what does Maryland do?  Indicts him on wiretap charges!  I guess there is some fear of a "Rodney King" type incident embarassing the MD State Police.  Or something.  Anyway, here is a follow up where they indicted him:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/QNcDGqzAB30

Luckily, our judiciary is a bit more level headed than the prosecutors in this case.  Reading the case file, you realy have to wonder who came up with the idea to charge Mr Graber under a wiretap statute.  The descion:

http://www.aclu-md.org/aPress/Press2010/...092710.pdf

Why do I find all this interesting?  Digital cameras are everywhere and just about all of us carry them in our phones.  I shoot pictures at events quite often.  Many times the police are present.  According to the way Mr Graber was charged, If I take a picture of a cop at a public event without first asking his permission AND getting the writen permission of one of two state officials, I could theoretically be charged as well.  In Mr Grabers case, the state executed a search warrant and confiscated all of Mr Graber's computer equipment.  That could happen to any of us.

I have always maintained a policy of not posting pics of anyone who asks not to be photographed.  If a police officer asks me not to take thier picture or not to publish one that has been taken, I will gladly comply with thier request.  However, I have to agree with the judge in this case who said upon dismissing the wiretap charges:

"Those of us who are public officials and are entrusted with the power of the state are ultimately accountable to the public. When we exercise that power in public fora, we should not expect our actions to be shielded from public observation. 'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."

Steven Winslow
Just like all government trying to cover everything up. Like a cat in a litter box. They can cover the turd but it still stinks. Be carefull BIG BROTHER is watching us all. Smile
Stop stupidity,spay or neuter all idiots. Ride safe my friends. Taz